Coleslaw with Chili-Lime Dressing


Warm winter coleslaw with chili lime dressing




Coleslaw recipe kicked up with chili, lime + mint.

Need a little kick to warm your chilled winter bones? How about a warm and slightly spicy coleslaw with crunchy cabbage, chili, lime and ginger? It's a healthy vegan side dish your body will love. And the best part is, it's easy to throw together. You can do it in no time flat. Which is why I always keep a cabbage in the fridge (don't you, Darling?). You never know when hunger pangs will strike, what with all this detoxing and sugar shunning and working out with Jane Fonda's Prime Time DVD -- which I must confess, I love to pieces. Jane is gentle and warm and encouraging (I don't respond well to bullying and drill sergeant meanies, do you?).

The workout is perfect for me (I'm a woman of a certain age, with three titanium screws in her hip and a cranky duodenum, after all). I thought I'd talk about it today because I also think it's a great little workout for those of any age who sit at a computer desk all day and forget to get up and boogie now and then (that would also be moi). You could even do it at work, as many of the exercises use a chair (who doesn't like exercise you can do sitting down?). And you could sneak in stretches when your boss isn't looking. I'm finding her body awareness technique is already helping my posture. Which always gets slouchy in winter. Even in L.A. It just does. I think it's the narrow daylight thing. Or the carb craving thing. Which is related to the daylight thing. Which is why I'm shredding cabbage and whipping up slaw. Because a girl's gotta eat.

And Babycakes, this slaw makes a darn tasty gluten-free snack.




Warm winter coleslaw with chili lime dressing


Karina's Warm Coleslaw Recipe with Chili-Lime Dressing

Recipe posted January 2011.

I usually like my slaw chilled, but during the winter I like to warm it up a bit and melt the cabbage ever so slightly. Not too much. I keep some crunch to it. If you don't care for Thai inspired chili sauce, you can leave it out. Though the spicy kick it gives this slaw is not overpowering. It's just a hint.

Ingredients:

1/2 head of medium cabbage, cored
1 medium carrot
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 tablespoons rice vinegar
2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
1 tablespoon Thai Kitchen Spicy Chili Sauce
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint leaves
3 tablespoons sliced almonds

Instructions:

Using a large sharp knife, slice the cabbage into thin strips. Rinse in cold water and drain. Wash, trim and grate the carrot.

Toss the cabbage and carrot into a large skillet and set it on low-medium heat. Let the cabbage heat through and soften a bit- about three to four minutes.

Meanwhile make the dressing. In a glass measuring cup whisk together the olive oil, rice vinegar, maple syrup, chili sauce, lime juice, ginger and sea salt. Pour the dressing all over the cabbage and lightly toss it to coat. I use soft tipped tongs to do this. Heat through another two to three minutes, just till slightly wilted- not overly soft. I like the cabbage tender-crisp.

Remove from heat and scoop the warm slaw into a bowl.

Add the mint and almonds. Toss gently.

Serve as a side dish with your favorite chili, gluten-free sandwiches, burritos, or enchiladas.

This slaw is also lovely with hot cooked rice. And fabulous with my Heirloom Potato Salad (I serve the potato salad warm in the winter).

Serves 4.
If, like me, you're trying to detox from holiday indulgence, keep some coleslaw handy. Slaw makes a wonderful vegan snack.


I love warm coleslaw as a vegan snack

More coleslaw goodness from food bloggers:


Kalyn's Kitchen serves up Spicy Lime Coleslaw

Simply Recipes Southwestern Coleslaw looks mucho good

Fatfree Vegan Kitchen whips up Creamy Herbed Coleslaw




Total Pageviews