Search Karina's Recipes:

Loading...

Karina's Gluten-Free Blueberry Flax Muffins

Gluten-Free Blueberry Flax Muffins @ Gluten-Free Goddess
Gluten-free blueberry flax muffins- totally our new fave.


 Blueberry Flax Seed Muffins - My Fave


Seven years ago we left Cape Cod for our gypsy adventure. We sold the sofa, kitchen table, and boxes of cookbooks. We recycled toys and jeans and an old PC. The open road was calling. And we listened.


The western sky hung big and blue above the high desert arroyos of New Mexico. It felt as deep and wide as an ocean. We thought this signaled home. But I missed the sea more than I ever could have guessed. So we moved to Los Angeles and tried on four different neighborhoods in as many years. I grew adept at packing and shedding and shelved my books by color. I luxuriated in each and every hour spent with my two grown sons. A gift, each shared coffee date. Movie night. Christmas dinner.

But the city of Los Angeles was never my home. Its entertainment culture felt as walled off to me as the adobe and iron gates in Santa Fe. I felt invisible. And irrelevant. And undernourished. My feminine soul was starving.

And so I turned my gaze East again. It somehow felt right. And I found us a temporary nest, an antique barn studio in a post card worthy Connecticut village where I had lived as a child. Here, I paint. I write. I bake blueberry muffins. I listen to rivers curving through woods. I inhale the fog. It smells like pine. It is quiet here. And the pace is more to my liking. 

But it is not by the sea. I cannot walk the flats at low tide. I have no place to hang sheets in the ocean breeze.

Believe it or not, the coast is calling.

Like the long and winding road that tugged me West, and pulled me East, the tidal rhythms of living by the sea are infusing my dreams with the colors of ocean glass and bay side creeks. There is sand in my boots from our trip to San Diego and I cannot bring myself to shake it out. I've been looking up rentals in Ventura County.

If you are a fortune teller, adept at reading signs, speak now or forever hold your peace.



Warm Gluten-Free Blueberry Flax Muffins @ Gluten-Free Goddess
We love the light, tender texture of these blueberry flax muffins.

Gluten-Free Blueberry Flax Muffins Recipe

Updated. Original recipe posted April 2013 by Karina Allrich.

We used frozen organic blueberries in these wonderful, fragrant flax muffins. You could also use fresh blueberries- but keep your eye on the baking time (frozen berries make a colder batter). Use a cake tester to test the center for doneness.

Ingredients:

1 cup almond flour or hazelnut flour
1/2 cup sorghum flour or brown rice flour
1/2 cup potato starch (not potato flour)
1/4 cup flax seed meal
1 cup light brown sugar
2 teaspoons double acting baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup organic expeller pressed canola oil
3 free-range organic eggs, beaten
1/2 cup non-dairy milk
1 tablespoon good vanilla extract
2 cups organic frozen blueberries, patted dry, but still frozen


Instructions:

Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Line a 12-muffin tin with paper liners- this recipe makes 14 muffins, so you'll need two extra paper liners.

In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the almond flour, sorghum flour, potato starch, flaxseed meal, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, xanthan gum, sea salt, and cinnamon.

Add in the canola oil, eggs, non-dairy milk, and vanilla and beat to combine. Continue beating for 2 minutes until the batter is smooth, and moist, akin to thick cake batter.

Stir in the blueberries by hand.

Using a spoon, drop the batter into the 12 muffin cups and smooth out tops with wet fingers. Bake in the center of the oven for 25 minutes, until domed and golden brown. Insert a cake tester to make sure the centers are cooked through.

Note* Cover the muffin pan loosely with a piece of oil for the last five minutes of baking to keep the tops from browning too much.

Cool on a wire rack for five minutes or so, then turn out the muffins to continue cooling on the rack.

Repeat with the remaining batter to make 2 more muffins.

We ate our blueberry flax muffins warm and slathered with vegan butter.

Makes 14 muffins.


Recipe Source: glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com

All images & content are copyright protected, all rights reserved. Please do not use our images or content without prior permission. Thank you. 



 photo Print-Recipe.png




Gluten-Free Blueberry Flax Muffins @ Gluten-Free Goddess
Tender, healthy and delicious blueberry flax muffin.


For substitutions, please see my guide to baking with substitutions here.

For more gluten-free blueberry muffin choices- 

I have also shared a wonderful coconut infused Blueberry Muffin here.





xox Karina

37 comments:

  1. To live by water. My husband and I are both St. Louis natives, we live there now, but we lived in Chicago for 7 years. A few blocks from the lake. No one seems to understand when we say we miss it. Like they think we're joking. I'm glad someone understands.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do. I really, really do. xox

      Delete
  2. I wish you would write a book. Your words here always leave me hungry for more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i think 'happy' is whom you are with- not where you are located...can understand having a preference- like wanting to live near the ocean or in the mountains but i don't think it should be such an ever-looming quest that you miss out on life each day wishing you were somewhere else...it doesn't really matter- what matters is whom you share 'home' with...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, this looks delish. I will be pinning to keep it ready to put into practice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with donna. I have always learned to "grow where you are planted." My husband and I move a lot with his job. Home, for us, is in the mountains, but there is always joy to be found in the area we are at now.

    The muffins look fabulous! Looks like I am baking this afternoon! Ha.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I miss the smell..and as you and I both know..you cant bottle it! We moved from Puget Sound in WA 15 yrs ago to NH on an adventure with our kids, then 5,10 and 14. They are all grown now one in Paris, one in Cambridge and one back in Seattle(city of his birth) and works in AK on the sea. And I yearn for the salt water! I travel one hour over to Rye NH for a quick fix or up to Maine in the summers...but not the same ;-( We live in a wonderful1812 Federal huge home on 18 acres with a 4 acre pond...but it is not the same as the salt water. So we know as we age some serious decisions to be made! Your muffins look lovely but I have a recipe I have tweaked and it is scrumptious..no sugar,no dairy and I use duck eggs which give everything a huge lift! It also has pumpkin or squash of your choosing, and banana( I sometimes sub homemade applesauce) <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. You need no fortune teller, m'dear. You've just told your own. Follow your bliss to the water's edge. My husband and I have chosen to live in the mountains of Maine but the coast forever beckons us on our "trips outta town". We're both sailors from way back and are planning once again to have a boat to roam the magnificent coasts in this world. Still having a retreat in the mountains is what we will call "balance"! Tally-ho!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your words. xox

      Delete
  8. The Atlantic Ocean heals. I lived away for more than a decade and returned a year ago. I won't live far from it again. Your writing is such a pleasure to read in addition to your delicious GF recipes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you kindly, Sarah. xox

      Delete
  9. Made these muffins this afternoon. I substituted applesauce for the canola oil and added 1/4 teaspoon more xanthan gum. They came out beautiful and they are delicious. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing that tip! I love it when applesauce can be used in a recipe... Wonderful. xox

      Delete
  10. There is something soothing about always going back to your roots. Even though my kids have all flown from the nest, my roots are deep and will remain here in the Northwest. Thanks for the recipe. I love using flax in muffins. Looking forward to trying this one!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love ground flax seeds to replace eggs in my vegan recipes. And that's great for omega-3 too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So now, you are REALLY going home - I am glad for you, Karina.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Go for it! If you can make your life work in the place that calls you, do not delay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm packing as fast as I can. ;-)

      Delete
  14. Go. Be. Live. If it's meant to be, it will.

    ReplyDelete
  15. K,
    There is no way to shake the sand....I have not been able to leave here since I landed 37 years ago. I am not complete if I'm not at the beach each day. Doesn't matter what temp is, I love it. I also love the dramatic skies so much. Last night, after a very dark, blustery day, the edge of the sky broke open into a golden light like no other. I am just heading out to visit Taylor Bray Farm in Yarmouthport to see the new lambs in their fields along the ocean. Still brisk but the wind and the new life will renew my reason for being in this wonderful place. Hope it will be yours again soon, as well!
    Love,
    M

    ReplyDelete
  16. You know, it's funny. I've never been to Cape Cod. Never even been close to the Atlantic Ocean. I have lived all my life in the Midwest, and I love the prairie. I really, really do.

    Yet whenever I read anything about Cape Cod there is this longing in my soul, like I have lost something I need to find in order to be whole. It feels like a long lost home I have never seen. It is so strong that I have joked that my soul came from Cape Cod before residing in this body. One day I will get there, and I don't know if I will ever be able to make myself leave.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must visit- and come in September. It is my favorite time of year on Cape. xox

      Delete
  17. The Pacific is my chosen ocean, and having the ocean in sight makes navigating easier!

    These little muffins were absolutely marvelous! I add a splash of fresh lemon juice and some lemon zest and they came out light, just sweet enough, and full of summer time. This recipe is going into the standard rotation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yum. The lemon is a perfect addition! Thanks so much for sharing. I love the Pacific Ocean, too. So much.

      Delete
  18. Just found your blog and this post spoke to me. I too have a strong gypsy wanderlust. Originally from Maine I convinced my husband to move to the east coast of Florida where we have lived within a few miles of the beautiful beaches here. However the last couple of years have been pulling me to the northeast again. I actually feel a strong imbalance without any winter. So once again life is changing and we are moving to Pennsylvania to enjoy the mountains. I already miss the ocean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand these pulls all too well! I have decided to live in a warmer climate, and visit the snow. Rather than the other way around. ;-) xox

      Delete
  19. I just made these muffins for my Sunday breakfast and they turned out scrumptious! I subbed millet flour for the almond flour and coconut oil for the canola, and added lemon juice and zest as another commenter suggested. Thanks for another terrific and well-tested recipe, Karina!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will make these with coconut oil next, too. Thank you for your comment and the tip on subbing almond flour with millet flour- I know nut-allergic readers will be grateful for that!

      Delete
  20. Happy travels to you Karina and wishing for you the place you will feel is home. Although I appreciate where I have been "planted" as others often like to say, it is quite different than giving up what I believe will sustain me. I save bits and pieces of the places that speak to me when I travel, so am smiling at the sand you still have in your boots. The muffins are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kelly- for your lovely, thoughtful comment. There is a part of me forever rooted in gypsy longing. No matter how much at home I feel- anywhere- I also feel an itch to roam. xox

      Delete
  21. Muffins are amazing, as all your recipes typically are. I found my combination of ocean, nature and peace in Washington state. Maybe you should try it if you haven't yet. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to visit Washington state!

      Delete
  22. I understand the need for water. I love the north shore of Massachusetts and the tide pools of Wingaersheek beach. I encourage you to visit there before heading back to CA. We foodies need you out here, just in case you decide to ever open a little seaside bakery for folks like us.

    I do have a baking question too! With 4 children these and any of your wonderful baked goods simply fly out of my kitchen as soon as the delicious scent permeates our home. Can I double and triple your muffin recipes without getting a gummy muffin? So often with 4 cups of flour that's my result. Then we have to eat them quickly or they get super stale in a day.

    What's your advice on that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know why 'double batches' get tricky but they do, don't they? I definitely recommend wrapping and freezing leftover gluten-free baked goods to preserve flavor and texture.

      Delete
  23. I understand so strongly the need to follow where you soul is. I have traveled a bit too, and there is something calming about the east coast that I miss when I'm not there. I saw the crazy, beautiful, Pacific coast for the first time at 27 and I fell in love... But.. Sometimes you need the pine trees, the Blue Ridge Mountains, or... the Atlantic. I feel the pulls too. I hope your happiness resonates in your new home...

    Also, thanks for this recipe. I just decided to make blueberry muffins, and then look what I find... : ) I'm going to do egg replacer though! And definitely the lemon zest... maybe lemon poppyseed with blueberries! We'll see how it goes : )

    Oh, also, I never shake the sand out when I leave the beach. I want it in the floor of my car, in the pockets of my green bag, in my shoes... ok less so in my shoes. But I seriously left sand in my bag for months as a thin thread of connection that I just couldn't give up. I smiled whenever I pulled something out covered in sand. : )

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to Gluten-Free Goddess® Recipes. Comments are moderated and will appear on approval.

Find substitution help and guidelines here. Please note: substitutions alter the recipe (and may affect structure, texture, baking times, and flavor).

Find my gluten-free baking tips and advice here.

Find sugar-free baking tips here.

Wishing you a delicious and beautiful day!

Karina - Gluten-Free Goddess xox


POPULAR POSTS :