Search Karina's Recipes:

Loading...

Gluten-Free Sun-Dried Tomato Focaccia Bread

Gluten-Free Sun-Dried Tomato Focaccia Bread
Today's new recipe? Gluten-free sun-dried tomato bread.
 

A Focaccia To Love


Moving season is upon us. Yes, Los Angeles has a moving season. Southern Californians do not like to move in cold weather- in other words, when the mercury dips below the 60º mark. 58 degrees? It's time for UGGs and cocoa and ordering in. Not for hoisting sofas up or down a flight of stairs. Are you crazy?

And yes. We are moving. Come June 1st or thereabouts we are joining the migrating, apartment swapping masses. We are weeding through the promises that bloom on Craigslist (a veritable bouquet of alluring superlatives). Amazing! Gorgeous! Light and bright! And the ever popular- HUGE! This whole searching (and so far, not finding) process inevitably makes me insanely hungry for bread. Not store bought bread. Freshly baked warm from the oven bread. The kind of rustic, crusty loaf that conjures the word hearth. And home.

Because when you're searching for a place to live, nothing whispers home to your soul like the yeasty sweet aroma of baking bread.


Gluten-Free Sun-Dried Tomato Bread
This gluten-free sun-dried tomato bread is crusty and tender.

 

Gluten-Free Sun-Dried Tomato Bread Recipe

Recipe posted April 2012 by Karina Allrich.

We found some fabulously sweet sun-dried tomatoes at Trader Joe's for this new bread recipe. They were delightfully tender and not too chewy. I like my sun-dried tomatoes to resemble fruit, not leather. They gave this rustic bread a rich, Italian inspired flavor.

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups sorghum flour
1 1/2 cups potato starch
1/2 cup almond meal or GF millet flour
1/2 cup brown rice flour
4 teaspoons dried basil
2 teaspoons xanthan gum
1 1/2 teaspoons fine sea salt
1-2 teaspoons minced garlic, to taste
1 1/4 cup warm water (115ºF)
1 teaspoon raw sugar
1 packet rapid dry yeast
2 organic free range eggs, beaten
3 tablespoons good olive oil
1 teaspoon mild rice vinegar (or lemon juice)
1/2 cup lightly packed sun-dried tomatoes (dry packed)

Instructions:

Warm the oven by turning it on and off. Line a 9-inch cake pan with a piece of parchment.

In a mixing bowl combine the sorghum flour, tapioca starch, almond meal, brown rice flour, dried basil, xanthan gum, sea salt and garlic.

In a large measuring cup add the sugar to the water and dissolve. Add the yeast, stir and set aside until the yeast gets happy and poofy. (The sugar feeds the yeast.)

Add the proofed yeast and liquid to the flour and begin beating to combine. Add the eggs, olive oil and vinegar. Beat for a minute or two until the dough is smooth.

Lightly chop the sun-dried tomatoes. Toss them into the dough. Stir to distribute.

Scoop the dough into the prepared pan, shape and smooth the top with oiled hands.

Set the pan in the warm oven, on the center rack, and allow the dough to rise. A quick rise of 20 minutes will produce a flat bread style rustic loaf (shown). A longer rise, until doubled in height, should give you a slightly higher loaf, depending upon your altitude and ambient temperature.

When the dough has risen, turn the oven on, to 375ºF.

Bake for 30 to 35 minutes until firm and golden. Note: At about 20-25 minutes I brushed the top with olive oil. This helps make a lovely golden crust.


Serve this flavorful bread warm from the oven, with authentic extra virgin olive oil. (See this book Extra Virginity for the truth about olive oils- thanks to my pal Gluten-Free Anna for the heads up on this book.)

Makes one 9-inch rustic bread.

Recipe Source: glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com

All images & content are copyright protected, all rights reserved. Please do not use our images or content without prior permission. Thank you. 



Gluten-Free Sun-Dried Tomato Bread
I baked this loaf as a round flat bread- for dipping in good olive oil.

More gluten-free sun-dried tomato goodness:

Gluten-Free Sun-dried Tomato Bread from Gluten Free Gobsmacked
NY Style Sun-Dried Tomato Bagels at Jenn Cuisine

For substitution help, please see my guide to baking with substitutions here.

20 comments:

  1. well that's just beautiful!! AS always karina!! I used to LOVE to get sundried tomato bread at a lunchbox place before I was gluten free! I think i will have to make this very soon! (((hugs!)))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, this looks incredible. I wish I had some of this right now. I bet this bread would also be good with kalamata olives in it. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love those TJ's sun dried tomatoes. They're *almost* as good as my own slow-roasted ones.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the sound of this bread - I have a huge jar of sun dried tomatoes I bought from Costco's, so this is perfect. Best wishes with your move!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks SO Good! I can't wait to make this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This recipe looks so different and unique.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous00:49

    Could this be made vegan do you think Karina.
    What would you sub for eggs please.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Young lady, you have outdone yourself. That bread looks SOOOO good. I picture eating it with a big Greek Salad.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hope you settle in to your new "bright and breezy" place with a minimum of fuss and bother. Prayers for a blessing on your new home!

    ReplyDelete
  10. AH I'll be joining the L.A. moving mass next month too! If I walked into an apartment and it smelled like this freshly baked bread I'd rent it immediately because my first thought would be: home. Love the idea of serving it with olive oil and olives.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for testing and sharing this recipe. I am very newly gluten-free. I looked at some very pathetic looking gluten-free bread in the freezer section of my local co-op in my small mountain town today....and thought, I KNOW I could make better looking bread than this myself. I came home and immediately found this post of yours. This bread looks wonderful and I will be making it as soon as my sorghum flour and tapioca starch arrive from Amazon. Maybe today! Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh how yummy indeed! I love those tomatoes, so very sweet. Good luck with your moving and house hunting!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous00:24

    From Lynne L.
    To Anonymous...use egg replacer..available anywhere. Karina, good luck my dear on your move. Thanks so much for the recipe..can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks great! Can't wait to try!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am a newly diagnosed celiac and am loving your blog right now! It's been ages since i've baked bread and since discovering your recipes i've been making a loaf every few days. All my GF friends and relatives are getting loafs of bread.
    I went and bought myself a kitchenaid mixer the other day on craigslist as the bread machine just wasn't cutting it anymore...
    I've been trying to find tips on how to use it to make gluten free breads but not having much luck. Do I use the paddle or the hook? Do i mix for less time than with gluten breads? On what setting? Any tips would be appreciated.
    Thanks so much for your wonderful recipes and inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You forgot my favorite descriptions: sparkling and charming. In other terms, that equates to scrubbed down and needs-an-off-beat-eye-for-taste. :) Will be thinking of you as I pack up my boxes as well... This bread is a perfect distraction to the moving blues so I must go bake this now!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Karina, I just found you looking for a good gluten-free bread (which I can't wait to make, btw). Love your site! Can't wait to explore more as I have a daughter who needs gluten-free treats. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  18. wow - that looks fabulous! i'm newly gluten-free, and am thoroughly enjoying your blog. thanks for all the fabulous tips and recipes.

    cheers,
    cailen
    www.lifestylemaven.org

    ReplyDelete
  19. Anonymous23:19

    I got to thinking about this bread and if cut in half and popped in the toaster oven....well I would bet it would make two wonderful pizza's!
    what-ya think?

    ReplyDelete
  20. What can we use instead of eggs?

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to Gluten-Free Goddess® Recipes. Comments are moderated and will appear on approval.

Find substitution help and guidelines here. Please note: substitutions alter the recipe (and may affect structure, texture, baking times, and flavor).

Find my gluten-free baking tips and advice here.

Find sugar-free baking tips here.

Wishing you a delicious and beautiful day!

Karina - Gluten-Free Goddess xox


POPULAR POSTS :