Search Karina's Recipes:

Loading...

Gluten-Free Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cookies

Gluten free vegan chocolate cookies with chocolate chips
Crunchy outside, chewy inside, gluten-free vegan chocolate cookies.

Double Chocolate Yum

(and some gluten-free baking advice) 


I have a new cookie recipe to share today. A cocoa infused cookie studded with semi-sweet chocolate chips. A cookie that tastes like a brownie- if a brownie was slightly crispy and crunchy on the outside, and chewy soft on the inside. You could say, it's a brownie with a cookie texture.

Texture is a big deal in gluten-free baking.

It's no secret that giving gluten the boot also means giving texture, stretch, and structure the old heave-ho, right along with it. First timers bite into gluten-free goodies and pause. They chew. Their eyes widen and dart to the side as they search for a word to describe exactly what it is they are chewing.

The word most often used to describe something gluten-free? Gummy. Or worse. Hockey pucks. Cardboard. Dirt.

Attributes one does not necessarily associate with um, pleasure. With nourishment. With flavor.

Which is why I am here.

It was nearly ten eleven twelve thirteen years ago (December 2001) when I broke up with the abusive protein known as gluten.

Our love affair had been a passionate, tumultuous ride. Thrilling and deliciously seductive. From twirling garlic laden Italian pasta to rustic bread baking, we had nurtured a decades long love affair. Four and a half decades, in fact. And I'm not embarrassed to admit, I was deep into it. Head over heels. And dizzy in denial. Until symptoms could no longer be ignored.

And it turned out I felt better without gluten. Not just better. Transformed.

So I bought a gluten-free cookbook and started baking (and no offense to the wonderful woman who was- literally- a gluten-free pioneer and wrote several best selling gluten-free cookbooks, but). I determined- quite quickly- that white rice flour and starches do not a gourmet treat make.

Truth is, ten years ago, baking gluten-free meant using rice flour and starches, or just plain cornstarch (this was Julia Child's advice). We didn't have the higher protein, whole grain gluten-free choices we have today. Oh, they were there, lurking. Buckwheat flour and almond meal have long, delicious traditions in the old country (I loved the cookbook Fabulous and Flourless). But packaged blends and gluten-free mixes favored cheaper rice flour and starches (and even today, most g-free mixes rely on this old school stand-by, with predictably gummy results). So the cardboard moniker stuck.

And me?

My hopes for baking without gluten deflated like a sad little souffle.

Until Bob's Red Mill brought us whole grain gluten-free grains. Grains with protein and fiber. Grains with nutrition. Grains with flavor. And yes- texture! Milled with artisan care in a gluten-free facility. And no, this is not a sponsored endorsement. This is personal.

By now you should know I'm not the kind of blogger who can be seduced by a coupon offer. Or a free t-shirt. I've been doing this awhile, Darling.

I have an opinion. An informed opinion. Based on thirteen-plus years of gluten-free baking (which ought to be worth more than a coupon or a  five dollar sample).

So I tell it like it is.


Readers sometimes ask me for recipe substitutions. These can be grouped into a handful of popular themes:
  1. I use too many different flours- they want to use one (or a baking mix).
  2. I use buckwheat flour- they wouldn't touch buckwheat flour like they wouldn't wear Crocs.
  3. I use sorghum flour- they can't find sorghum flour (for that, I am truly, sympathetically sorry!).
  4. I use almond meal or coconut flour (fabulous protein and fiber)- and they are allergic (once again, profoundly sorry!).

So they sub. They use rice flour and starches in my recipes. And return to tell me the texture is gummy. Or as dense as cardboard.

Exactly.

Flour choices matter.

And so does execution.

So I thought I'd address this today, and offer some quick, short advice on gluten-free baking- and substitutions.



Truth? Gluten-free baking is more of an art than a science.

What this means- there is no one perfect, exact, preset formula for a gluten-free recipe. And you don't need a scale to measure things in grams.

Why?

Without stretchy gluten, flours can be finicky, and far less forgiving.

There is weather, Bubela. You know, humidity. And winter heat dryness. And there is how you store your flours (in the cold fridge- or in the cupboard next to the stove?). Dampish flours need less liquid added. And some g-free flours are super thirsty (coconut flour grabs on to fat and liquid like a parched and greedy camel).

With gluten-free baking, the relationship of dry ingredients to wet is crucial. Even two tablespoons more/or less liquid can make the difference between a gummy center, and a fluffy crumb.  

Here's what I do- I add my liquid to the whisked dry ingredients slowly, a little at a time, and beat until it comes to the right consistency. Don't dump all the liquid in at once. Sometimes you need a tablespoon less liquid. Sometimes, a few tablespoons more.

Then there is temperature. The temperature of the ingredients themselves (ice cold eggs?). The ambient temperature of your kitchen (is it drafty and damp, or hot and humid, or do you use air conditioning?). And then, perhaps the most influential of all, there is the temperature of your oven-- which, surprisingly, can actually vary. Not only for those of us using cheap stoves in rental apartments, but also in your shiny newly installed appliance-- it may not be calibrated correctly. This is a big issue for many a reader, by the way). Which is why I recommend using an oven thermometer, and checking your 'preheat' temperature. Temperature influences baking time, big time.

 

How to judge the right consistency?

Intuition and experience helps. But in general, cake and cupcake batters are slightly thicker than wheat based cake batters. You're not looking for velvety thin ribbons of batter like the old days. I find the best gluten-free cake batters tip toward a muffin batter consistency.

Bread dough and pizza dough is more like muffin batter.

G-free cookie dough is stiff and sturdy and a bit sticky. Roll it into balls with wet or oiled hands.

For baking substitution help (because of course, I know how hard it is to bake gluten-free with allergies- you know I love you, my multi-allergic sisters and brothers, I'm one of you!) please use my post on Baking Substitutions and Help as a guide to subbing problematic ingredients in my recipes.

And for vegans, and non-vegans, I have found my recipes perform well with eggs and without, using an egg substitute. For a powdered egg sub I use Ener-G Egg Replacer- if you use a different one, you may need to adjust starches/liquids. Many readers report good luck using flax seed gel; I have limited expertise with flax, but I do think it adds a nice touch to gluten-free baking. And yes, for dairy and non-dairy, I find it's an easy one-to-one sub. (I must be dairy-free, so I write up recipes that way, but if you prefer using butter and milk in my vegan recipes- that will work just fine; my husband and sons have tried them both ways, with success).

For detailed info on gluten-free flour choices and how to make your own g-free flour blends that don't suck, see my Gluten-Free Baking Tips post.

Finally- to repeat it--- experience counts.

Even our failures bring us one step closer to better results. They teach us. Baking gluten-free is a process. It is not a finite, closed experiment. It is more like jazz than strophic form. Learning an intuitive sense of improvisation is worth the effort.

So, go bake some cookies with whole grain flours and share them with someone you love, okay?


Gluten free chocolate cookies recipe
Chocolate cookies that remind me of brownies. Vegan and egg-free.



Karina's Gluten-Free Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cookies - A Vegan and Dairy-Free Recipe

Recipe originally published April 2011 by Karina Allrich.

I used a mild organic cocoa in these chocolate chocolate chip cookies. The cookie's flavor is subtle, like cocoa, with lovely bittersweet bites of dark chocolate chips. The men in the house like these babies straight from the freezer, ice cold.

Ingredients:

Whisk together:

1/2 cup GF buckwheat flour or certified gluten-free oat flour
1/2 cup sorghum (jowar) flour
1/2 cup brown rice flour
1/2 cup tapioca starch or potato starch (not potato flour!)
1/3 cup organic cocoa
2 teaspoons xanthan gum
1 teaspoon sea salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 cup organic cane sugar
1/3 cup light brown sugar

Add in:

1/2 cup organic coconut oil or Spectrum Organic Shortening
1 tablespoon bourbon vanilla extract
1/2 cup vanilla rice milk, coconut milk, or almond milk- more as needed

As you beat the dough pay close attention to the consistency. Add more rice milk a tablespoon at a time, and beat to combine, until you achieve a smooth but sturdy cookie dough. I added two more tablespoons of rice milk to my dough.

Add in:

1/2 cup vegan chocolate chips

Instructions:

Preheat the oven to 375ºF. Line one or two baking sheets with parchment paper or an Exopat liner.

Stir in the chocolate chips as best you can (the dough is stiff).

Roll a golf ball sized wad of dough between your palms, and place the ball on the lined baking sheet about two inches apart. Repeat this process to make 18-24 balls. Use your palm to press down on the dough and flatten slightly- not too much- unless you like your cookies thin. Press a few extra chocolate chips into the tops of the cookies, if you like.

Bake in the center of a preheated oven for about 15 minutes until the cookies are set. They will still be slightly soft in the center. If you bake two pans at once, rotate the pans half way through baking.

Remove the pans from the oven, and allow the cookies to cool and "set" for a few minutes; then use a thin spatula to move the cookies to a wire rack. The cookies will get crisper as they cool.

Cook time: 15 min

Yield: 18-24 cookies

Recipe Source: glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com

All images & content are copyright protected, all rights reserved. Please do not use our images or content without prior permission. Thank you. 



 photo Print-Recipe.png



 
Notes- Yes, you can use real eggs if you prefer. I'd go with two organic free-range eggs, beaten.

Enjoy sugary treats in moderation. Gluten-Free Goddess advises consuming no more than 2 tablespoons of sugar a day.


xox Karina

55 comments:

  1. those cookies look perfect! we used to make "brownie cookies", and these look just like them - only better since they're GF!

    ReplyDelete
  2. <3

    I'm making these TODAY.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous15:29

    I'd love to try these! How much cocoa goes in the recipe? I don't see it... Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Karina, am I missing something? How much "mild organic cocoa" should I use?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Keri15:32

    I love how you called it like it is, lol!!!! I want a "do it all" flour but I know that just isn't how it works so I have 12 flours in my cabinet. Thank you for all that you do!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How much cocoa did you use? Or was I totally blind and missed it...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh so good looking cookies, especially for us chocolate lovers out there. I like your suggestions of eating them cold, straight out of the freezer!

    ReplyDelete
  8. love your comments about substitutions etc... I deal with that so often and I love what you wrote about flours matter! Also, so often I don't get the explanation of what a person did to change the recipe...the dough was watery, but i'm not told they left out the xanthan gum... arrgghh! Your approach was graceful and helpful! I will direct people to this post when asking about substitutions!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the heads up on the missing cocoa. I edited the recipe. xox Karina

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my goodness. These look delicious. I think I'm going to go make some RIGHT NOW!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the description of the eyes wide and darting sideways when biting into the first gf treat. That was me, except I was looking around to see if anyone was watching me spit the gnarly "cookie" into my napkin. Yech. I love your recipes and they've made me believe that delicious and gf can be spoken in the same sentence. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm glad I wasn't the only one that didn't see the cocoa... fortunately it mixed in well after the rest of the ingredients were done! They're in the oven; can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Then again, I wish people were sometimes a little bit MORE demanding about what they want in a GF cookie...

    I have been shocked at the growing amount of JUNK on the GF cookie shelves in the supermarkets lately and it is all filled with sugar and preservatives.

    All the more reason to bake our own, right?

    I'm ok with 4,000 kinds of flours if it's what I need to make it work!

    Thank you, Karina, for being equally faithful to your philosophy AND yummy cookies :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are quite delicious. :) Do you ever freeze dough to cook at a later date?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Becca18:28

    Thank you so much for this post. I find too many people are impatient and just want a "quick-fix" gluten-free treat... well, they don't exist! Great gluten-free goodies require time, commitment, and a whole lot of love.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks so much for such detailed information. Your experience is invaluable! These look great and I can't wait to try them!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've only just decided that I WILL try baking with the 'unusual' flours. Your advice, experience and generosity will make it so much easier. Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wonderful post, Karina! I think we have evolutions as gluten-free bakers, just as you described. It's a gift when a blogger like you makes a recipe that works for us, but it's also important to get in the kitchen and play some. That's how we become experienced. That experience thing comes into play so much in life. ;-)

    I can make these cookies using oat flour--woohoo! Can't wait to get some oat flour(or make some) so I can make these cookies. :-)

    xoxo,
    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
  19. You're my hero! And I'm only gluten sensitive but the thought of baking gluten free - more like grainy, body-less lumps of who-knows-what - had me deflated.
    Finding your blog was a Godsend and my collection of flours grows with each recipe I try.
    Thanks for all that you share.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Suzanne NZ00:28

    Thanks for another great recipe. I always look forward to getting your blog/recipes in my inbox! My 15 year old son has type 1 diabetes and coeliacs and I am so pleased to find some recipes using the 'alternative' flours. We are struggling with school lunch ideas at the moment so I will be spending some time going over your recipe list again to find some inspiration. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am baking these right now, but can't wait to post on how good they are! My bf and I literally ate maybe 1/4 of the dough after the first pan went in the oven ;-) BEST DOUGH EVER. Will make the best cookies ever, in about 10 minutes!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. ...and I was right! I've gained 20lbs just baking these! They won't last til morning ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Laureen05:01

    Karina,

    Your cookies look so YUMMY, I must bake some ASAP!!!

    I love your blog. I'm always happy to see a new gfg post in my Inbox!

    I have only been gf since the beginning of March this year and I am feeling great but I'm quite sure I would have been very depressed if I was looking at a lifetime of gummy, cardboard, flavorless baking. Thanks to you and other gluten free bloggers like you who are willing to share their stories and their wisdom, I'm back in my kitchen, cooking from scratch, creating and sharing some fabulous new tastes and textures with my family.

    ReplyDelete
  24. It can be hard finding some of the flour alternatives here in Australia, but I think I've hit the jackpot with our Indian Grocer. There is a HUGE array of wonderful things. It can be tricky getting a translation just right- there's a big difference between chestnut flour and water chestnut flour- but that's part of the adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  25. We're having a little girl which happens to be allergic to gluten staying with us at the hotel; I'll try those cookies for her - they look terrific! :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. You are truly an artist when it comes to gluten-free baking. No doubt about it!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I am eating one right now! And oh my, they taste as good here in New Zealand as they look in your picture! Thank you so much...now to hide them from the kids....

    ReplyDelete
  28. LauraC02:16

    Your blog is amazing! It really gives us normal chefs hope at living with food allergies!

    I loved your comment "Which is why I am here!" You help us all! I'm sorry that you have had to be cursed with all these allergies, but your help and guidance is AMAZING!

    Under your tutelage, I have helped helped several other people find hope in the gluten free/allergy world. I feel some days that my son has been diagnosed with all these problems so I can help other people.

    Thank you for your amazing recipes! Thank you for your insight!

    (These cookies were amazing!)

    ReplyDelete
  29. So anyone want to help me trouble-shoot? My dough was spongy- I used oat flour and coconut milk, if that helps. I'm thiking too much liquid? They still turned out (they don't look pretty but they sure taste good!).

    Also, Karina or anyone else- where can I buy buckwheat groats to grind my own flour? I can't stand the taste of premilled buckwheat flour and our local coop doesn't sell the groats.

    I'm off to scour your website more thoroughly! I'm SO EXCITED to have found you, as my daughter is gluten-free and the rest of us don't have gluten in the house because of her (it's easier to make the whole family one meal/one treat versus two different things).

    Yay! for helpful people like you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Anonymous14:45

    I made these today with just a couple of alterations and they were amazing! The best GF cookie I've had so far! Here's what I did.
    Oat flour (I ran out of buckwheat), 1/2 cup cocoa (we like a lot of chocolate), expeller pressed coconut oil, rapadura instead of brown sugar, and 1/2 cup fine coconut. Thank you so much for this recipe!
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  31. These look great! I wonder if carob powder could be used instead of cocoa. :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Anonymous17:43

    These were amazing. Had no chocolate chips, so subbed craisins. Really great brownie-like texture! Can't wait to try them with chocolate chips.

    ~Maya

    ReplyDelete
  33. A wonderful recipe. My kids gave these "rocket ships to the sky" which is the highest in their self-devised rating system! :) I love how they are thick and don't spread too thin. Thank you for sharing another one of your beautiful successes!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Anonymous11:06

    This recipe sounds lovely and would love to try it. However, most of the good recipes I have found on my 10 year journey of gluten free have brown rice flour in them which I am allergic to as well. I do understand why it is used.
    Being allergic to all nuts except cashews is very limiting. Is there another flour that will work well to substitute brown rice or nut flours?

    ReplyDelete
  35. Lizzy- I don't see why not? If you like carob, think these would be lovely as carob cookies. Sub one-to-one.

    Anon- For brown rice flour, I would use sorghum flour. And for nut flours, I'd use millet flour or buckwheat flour; if you don't care for those, you might try creating a mix with more sorghum. Nut flours add texture and protein, so don't sub them with a white starch.

    xox Karina

    ReplyDelete
  36. The Mom- I believe Bob's Red Mill sells buckwheat groats that you can grind yourself.

    Karina

    ReplyDelete
  37. Thanks for all the great tips! These cookies look DIVINE! I have yet to try gluten-free cookies, but I'm dying to now!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Alyssa T.22:10

    These came out PERFECT for me. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Anonymous14:20

    Thank you for another awesome recipe! I made this a couple of days ago, and was shocked (in a good way) at the texture -- the outer crust on these is aMAZing. I followed the recipe as written, but subbed chopped chocolate chunks (Endangered Species Chimpanzee, Supreme Dark Chocolate, 72%) in place of the chocolate chips. Best of all, this recipe is egg-free and Ener-G (nightshade)-free! Eggs/egg replacer are the main obstacle to my baking these days -- I'd love to see more recipes like this one :)

    Janine

    ReplyDelete
  40. These look really yummy! Question though- I'm new to the whole Gluten-free/ egg-free thing (daughter just diagnosed with allergies) and I'm wondering if Ener-G egg replacer could be used instead- I know the tapioca/potato starch is an egg replacer- but would anything else be omitted if I used the Ener-G?

    ReplyDelete
  41. Ella, The tapioca starch gives the cookie a pleasing crunchy crust on the outside while keeping the inside moist and chewy. If you use this recipe as written, you need no egg replacer.

    ReplyDelete
  42. I wish I had read this blog before I wasted money on white rice flour! Thanks to you I have a growing collection of flours in my cabinet... call it a garden. These cookies are in my oven right now and smell DELICIOUS! Thanks so much for your help and all these yummy recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  43. I recently found your blog in search of gf cookies. Made the chocolate cookies with chocolate chips and they turned out so yummy even the non gluten free in the house gobbled them up. I can't wait to try more of your recipes. Been craving bread so much!! Think we'll have to try a loaf of bread next. Thank you so much for sharing your Gluten Free knowledge.

    ReplyDelete
  44. I was craving a pick-me-up and I came across this recipe. I've tried some of your other cookie recipes, but this one is delicious and comforting...sooooo much chocolate. Thank you for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  45. WOW! This is BY FAR the best GF cookie recipe I've ever gotten to make! It's not very often you can eat GF cookie dough and be happy just with that!!!


    THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  46. Great recipe, I love the way you write, makes my day. Does it makes 18 or 24 cookies? Baking is fun again.

    ReplyDelete
  47. You Karina are absolutely wonderful. I've been enjoying your blog for some time now and I want to thank you for your skilll, style, creativity and most of all your candor.

    ReplyDelete
  48. I love this recipe and so does my husband. I have made this many times without the chips though. It is moist and does have a slight crunch on the outside. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  49. These cookies are absolutely delicious. Even my pickey teenage son loved them. Nice crunch on the outside, and the inside chewey, They are additive!

    ReplyDelete
  50. Great recipe! Thank you for sharing!

    http://lifeandcity.tumblr.com

    ReplyDelete
  51. I just made these and used earth balance soy-free margarine instead of the shortening. Turned out fine. A little too brown on the bottom, so I think I'll reduce temperature to 350 next time. I cut down on the sugar but next time will use the full amount. Nice and chewy! Thanks again, Karina.

    ReplyDelete
  52. Hello
    I was looking at trying this recipe however, as many times as I've read it I can't see that there are any eggs in the ingredients. Is this correct?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a vegan recipe, so inherently egg-free.

      Delete
  53. Very helpful advice! I have a question though. When a recipe calls for "2 tablespoons of coconut oil, melted" is it wanting two liquid tablespoons or two tablespoons and then melt? Help!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to Gluten-Free Goddess® Recipes. Comments are moderated and will appear on approval.

Find substitution help and guidelines here. Please note: substitutions alter the recipe (and may affect structure, texture, baking times, and flavor).

Find my gluten-free baking tips and advice here.

Find sugar-free baking tips here.

Wishing you a delicious and beautiful day!

Karina - Gluten-Free Goddess xox


POPULAR POSTS :