My Top Three Asparagus Recipes - Gluten-Free and Vegan

Fresh asparagus at the farmers market
Spring asparagus at the farmers' market

Asparagus. The Queen. 

Elegant, fresh- and addictive. For many of us, the primavera arrival of asparagus is big news. Huge. Exciting. We simply can't get enough. You see, there is something magical about asparagus. Maybe it's the sexy reputation. Isabelle Allende describes asparagus as phallic in her memoir, Aphrodite, describing gardens lush with it, and stalks thick as trees. She throws in a few maidens with obvious oral fixations and well. You can guess the rest.

To be honest, the whole thick as a tree trunk thing, though, is a bit much.

Big stalks? Not gonna impress me. I tend to gravitate to the slender young asparagus, myself. The slimmer the better, in my gluten-free part of the world. Why? I barely cook them. It's more like a coaxing. A gentle flash in the pan with some fruity olive oil and a kiss of balsamic vinegar. A pinch of sea salt. Nothing fancy. Keeping them tender-crisp is the key to maximum enjoyment-- for me. But I know some folks prefer long, slow roasting. 

And that's what makes the world go 'round, darling. 

We can all love asparagus in our own way. And you don't have to be a vegan or a vegetarian to fall madly in love with this divine little vegetable. I've witnessed many a devoted omnivore fall prey to its tender charms. In fact, asparagus brings people together who might otherwise deride and mock each other. Pork belly munchers and veg-heads alike can set aside their divisive passions  and unite in true asparagus bliss. In fact, unabashed asparagus love could be the key to world peace.

So today, to celebrate this humble vegetable in all its gluten-free vegan glory, I am sharing my three favorite asparagus recipes. Swoon worthy, all.


Asparagus in maple tahini dressing

This easy vegan recipe is a lovely appetizer or side dish. Serve warm stalks as finger food and use the dressing as dip. How sexy is that?

Risotto recipe with asparagus is vegan and gluten free

Lucky for us, risotto is gluten-free. And you can serve it to company without apologies. It's elegant. It's creamy. Super good. Those Italian goddesses who cooked up the first batch of risotto knew a thing or two.

Asparagus and tomatoes on gluten free spring pasta

One of my favorite spring meals- beautiful quinoa linguine topped with roasted asparagus, mushrooms, and tomatoes. Sometimes I add leeks or red onion. Always garlic- and chopped basil and mint. Heavenly.



More asparagus recipes from food bloggers:


Andrea Meyers: Roasted Asparagus with Orange Ginger Glaze
Kalyn's Kitchen: Pan-Fried Asparagus Tips with Lemon Juice
Simply Recipes: Roasted Asparagus
Perfect Pantry: Risotto with Shrimp and Asparagus 
101 Cookbooks: Asparagus Salad
Go Dairy-Free: Asparagus Soup
Food Blogga: How to Select, Store and Cook with Asparagus
Daily Diatribe: Mediterranean Halibut + Asparagus
Foods for Long Life: Vegan and Gluten-Free Asparagus Shiitaki Mushroom Stir Fry


xox Karina

13 comments:

  1. Maple and tahini. That's genius.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true & so beautiful!
    Some gorgeous asparagus arrived at the Union Square farmer's market last weekend. Felt like such a treat to buy a nice large bunch. I roasted half and put on my gluten free pizza. I ate the other half raw, chopped in my salad.
    Can't wait to make some of these recipes with my next delicious bunch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's almost, almost, almost asparagus season here! I'll be making my first trip to the farm in a couple of weeks to stock up; I'm quite spoiled by being able to buy them within an hour of harvest. Phallic or not, asparagus are something special.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your asparagus recipes look amazing. Love the farmers market photo too. I tend to choose thick asparagus for some recipes and thinner for others. (I'm an equal opportunity asparagus lover.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. my new boyfriend of two months is gluten intolerant, and i'm doing my best to cook him great GF meals and baked goods...thanks to you, Karina, i'm finding great food to make for us, which makes him very happy -- and me too! my next meal for the two of us will be the Sexy Spring Pasta with Roasted Asparagus! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Please whip me up some of that risotto, pronto! Love asparagus.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Asparagus. The perfect vegetable except for what it does to your pee, and even that I can tolerate given how good it is. I mean, could a vegetable be more versatile? I don't think so. Even in its' simplest incarnations, roasted with olive oil and kosher salt, it is melt-in-your-mouth fabulous. Thanks for the wonderful links. And your picture, oh goddess, you are good!

    ~Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been cooking with a lot of asparagus in the last two weeks as it's fresh in Atlanta right now. I tend to be lazy and just roast it but that maple tahini looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So many good ways to cook asparagus; love it when it starts to go on sale every Spring! And thanks for the mention; always appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That pasta looks delicious. And I didn't even know there was such a thing as quinoa linguine. Intrigued to say the least!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yum! Can't wait to try the asparagus risotto dish! My asparagus is just starting to peak through the dirt. Probably wont be ready to cut for another month, but when it is, it's going in this recipe! Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so excited it's asparagus time! I've waited all year for this. :) Recipes look great. I need to try out that quinoa linguine.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is beauty! So fresh for spring ;)

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to Gluten-Free Goddess® Recipes. Comments are moderated and will appear on approval.

Find substitution help and guidelines here. Please note: substitutions alter the recipe (and may affect structure, texture, baking times, and flavor).

Find my gluten-free baking tips and advice here.

Find sugar-free baking tips here.

Wishing you a delicious and beautiful day!

Karina - Gluten-Free Goddess xox


POPULAR POSTS :