Gluten-Free Vegan Potato Leek Soup

Gluten-free dairy-free vegan potato soup
Creamy potato soup- no dairy needed.

Soup for an Insomniac


Twenty-nine hours. That's how long I've been awake. I could blame the full moon, big as a gleaming white soup plate hanging in the clear desert sky last night. Or the pollen. The hostile spiky spewing of hundreds of junipers rooted round our plucky little casita. Every time I drifted toward the promise of sleep I would sneeze straight up and fumble in the dark for a Kleenex, my throat as raw as Tom Waits' vocal chords after belting forth, Make It Rain. We're talking ragged.

It ain't pretty.

So excuse me if I keep today's ramblings short and sweet. I'm hovering outside my body- nineteen inches to the left of myself. Any moment now, I might spin off with the tumbleweeds and roll down the dirt road to the highway. I might not even mind, if I end up tumbling west, rolling into the City of Angels in my sleep, snoring down Sunset Boulevard all the way to Ocean Avenue and south to Venice Beach where I live a parallel life in an alternate universe surfing at dawn.

And if you see me, give me a sign.

Any sign will do.

As long as you dream walk the same blue wavelength.

But before I spin toward the rutted crooked highway I'll leave you with a perfect soup for spring. Stir it up when the March winds blow, and soothe your winter weary bones.

Gluten-free dairy-free vegan potato leek soup
Top with spring onions or chives.


Potato Leek Soup Recipe- Vegan and Dairy-Free

Recipe posted March 2009.

We cooked up this vegan dairy-free soup in our trusty old Crock Pot and went to see a movie. Last Chance Harvey. It was the perfect antidote to an ornery pollen infested week. Dustin Hoffman is mad sympathetic and subtle and sweetly sad, and Emma is achingly good- as always. Don't miss it. It's a lovely movie- for grown-ups.

Ingredients:

A dash of olive oil
2 leeks, washed, dark green section trimmed, sliced
6 medium Yukon gold potatoes, peeled, cut up
Sea salt and pepper, to taste
2 cups plain non-dairy milk of choice, the creamier the better

Instructions:

For slow cooker-

Drizzle a scant amount of olive oil into the crock. Add the leeks. Stir. Add the potatoes. Season with sea salt and pepper, to taste. Cover with just enough fresh water to reach the top of the potatoes. Cover and cook on High for several hours until the spuds are fork tender. Maybe 5 hours or so.

For stove-top-

Drizzle a bit of olive oil into a soup pot and heat over medium heat. Add the leeks, toss in a little salt and stir. Cook for 15 minutes, till softened. Add the cut up potatoes. Season with sea salt and pepper, to taste. Carefully add enough water to just cover the spuds. Cover and bring to a simmer. When soup is simmering, lower heat and continue to simmer until potatoes are tender- roughly 40 to 45 minutes.

When the potatoes are fall apart tender, blend the soup with an immersion blender till smooth. (Or puree in batches in a blender or Vita-Mix- be careful to cover tightly!)

Stir in the non-dairy milk and return to heat, gently heating and stirring. Taste test for seasoning adjustments.

Serve with chopped chives, scallions, parsley on top, if desired.

Makes 4 to 6 servings.

This soup is fabulous chilled as well. A fun make ahead recipe for a warm June day.

 photo Print-Recipe.png



Recipe Source: glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com

All images & content are copyright protected, all rights reserved. Please do not use our images or content without prior permission. Thank you. 


Browse more delectable potato soup from favorite food bloggers:


Quick and Easy Potato Leek Soup at Soup Chick
Pear Pecorino Potato Soup from Cooking With Amy
Curried Potato and Vegetable Soup from Elise at Simply Recipes
Nicole's Hearty Potato Leek Soup Recipe at Pinch My Salt
Quick and Easy Potato Soup from Susan at FatFree Vegan Kitchen
Leek, Potato, Salmon Soup from Lydia at Perfect Pantry
South Beach friendly Turkey Cannelinni Bean Soup with Sweet Potatoes & Rosemary from Kalyn's Kitchen
Rich and Creamy Leek Soup with Baby Spinach and Shrimps from Ilva at Lucullian Delights



xox Karina

19 comments:

  1. The soup sounds lovely, but you sound miserable. Have you tried a neti pot? Sounds goofy, but it helps and I am about as skeptical as they come.

    Hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pure poetry, m'dear - and that soup looks earthy and delicious....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Soup sounds grand, but I do hope you are feeling better. I second the neti pot endorsement--or any other nasal wash you can stand. I like Simply Saline in large quantities as it doesn't have any buffers or preservatives in it. Benadryl as a last resort, because sleeplessness is truly a form a of torture for me...I would make a terrible spy.

    So amazing of you to write and photograph while so miserable. Inspiring, really.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for mentioning my soup in the company of so many other wonderful variations! Isn't it amazing how such simple ingredients can create a soup that's so luscious and flavorful? I always think of leek and potato soup as a little miracle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am right there with you - potatoes and leeks somehow go with March. I have been making vegan potato soup lately too! I think I need to make another batch because my daughter keeps asking to have it in lunch again!

    I so hope you feel better soon! Are you taking vit. D - 10,000 IU's per day is best when you are sick. Sorry to mention this again. Tom lectures around the country on this vitamin so it is always in the forefront of my mind!

    -Ali :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love simple soups. Leeks do somehow seem like a spring type ingredient. This sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i was just making this today!!

    so good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Karina! I'm in Buenos Aires (Argentina) and this soup sounds perfect for a rainy day like we're having here today. I understand exactly how you feel because I feel the same (my stash of kleenex seem to be not enough. My head aches and my throat too). It's allergy time around here! Thank you for your amazing recipes, your humor and your talent. Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Feel better Karina--this soup is terrific--I make it like this and it's delicious--

    ReplyDelete
  10. moonwatcher12:24

    Dear Karina,

    Thanks again for a beautiful post and a beautiful soup recipe. I will definitely try this one! I do hope you're feeling better soon, and that in the meantime, your dreams buoy you up. I also was deeply moved by your last post as well, since at one time I LONGED to live where you live, and am still enchanted by it the rare times I have visited. But in the end, before actually going, I saw somehow it was not a doable place for me to raise my son single-handedly. You have reminded me of the harshness behind the enchanted dream of the desert. Our dreams are complex, many faceted, with unexpected rough or hidden edges, aren't they? Hang in there.

    xo

    moonwatcher

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hate the sleeplessness. Caffeine and gluten are my insomnia causing foods/drink. Take care, and sleep will come soon.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hope you're feeling better soon!

    I just found three small leeks under the mulch in one of my gardens. I rescued them and I think they'll be soup soon!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Erica15:34

    Oh, I feel for you. I was so sick my last spring in NM (2006) from the juniper pollen. I still miss parts of that area, but I don't miss the juniper. I wish I could send you some fresh, clean air from the Oregon Coast. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Karina, I love me some spring soups. Thanks for temporarily moving 19" to the right so that you could knock out this post! Think I'll make this soup for company tomorrow night.
    xoxo
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  15. Loved it. I used the crock pot it, and it was wonderful to come home to nearly done dinner. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  16. cool addition on soups instead of croutons or something for added crunch is use some nice spiced organic pop corn to top it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. i hope you feel better soon! the recipe sounds lovely, and i totally echo the neti endorsements! :)
    one other thing- i read a while back in a natural healing magazine that you should avoid certain vegetables during allergy season because of their high pollen count- potato being one of the highest. you might want to check into that if you continue to be miserable... just another way our lovely foods can turn around and bite you :))

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anonymous19:34

    I added rosemary and garlic and cooked it in the slow cooker in vegetable broth instead of water... It was SO delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Anonymous20:54

    I just wanted to write that I'm making this now and it cooks great on LOW for 5 hours. I'm also not going to blend it, I like the big chunks. I added a bit of rosemary.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to Gluten-Free Goddess® Recipes. Comments are moderated and will appear on approval.

Find substitution help and guidelines here. Please note: substitutions alter the recipe (and may affect structure, texture, baking times, and flavor).

Find my gluten-free baking tips and advice here.

Find sugar-free baking tips here.

Wishing you a delicious and beautiful day!

Karina - Gluten-Free Goddess xox


POPULAR POSTS :