2009-02-25

Gluten-Free Coffee Biscuits Recipe


Coffee laced cookies with chocolate chips

This is a cookie recipe for a grown up. Call them adult cookies. Or better yet, go a little UK and name them biscuits. It sounds a whisker more civilized when you declare to your co-workers, Excuse me while I fetch myself a coffee and a biscuit, Darling. Back in two shakes!

Much less Kindergarten, with all that grab your blankie from your cubbie business and the ritual involving tiny milk cartons and poking bendy straws through paper wrappers and the inevitable bad boy, Sully, who would blow on the straw and shoot the wrapper missile right at your ear (so annoying) and those graham crackers that never quite snap apart evenly and get stuck in your teeth (beyond annoying). Quiet time. With cookies.

A prelude to adult tea time, I suppose. But don't mention snuggies. I don't even know what a snuggie is, nor do I want to know why I would want to bring one to work with me and why they're making a day of it. It seems so. Let's see. The image of graham crackers and milk and that nasty snotty Sully shooting paper straw wrappers at my head comes to mind.

Kindergarten.

The word itself conjures that official classroom smell. Crayons and white paste and chalk. I'm snagged in the late trailing end of the Boomer Generation, can you tell? We had nap time on the floor with blankets and milk. I'm sure my sons have a their own '80's variation on this "time out" theme. (I'll have to ask them.)

What did you have for your Quite Time ritual?

Milk and cookies? Or Juice boxes and Cheetos? And why are cookies called cookies here in the States and biscuits in the UK? I ask you. Inquiring minds are scrambling to uncover these mysteries.




Fabulous Coffee Biscuits Recipe (Cookies for grown-ups)


I've been experimenting with gluten-free flour blends and this current combo of mine makes the best soft and chewy cookie yet. One secret is to add honey or agave- this moistens and binds the cookie, keeping it from getting all crumbly. The coffee flavor really shines through. The taste reminds me of a favorite pre-celiac coffee flavored biscuit I used to love- from the UK.

Ingredients:

1 cup sorghum flour
1 cup GF buckwheat flour or GF millet flour
1/2 cup tapioca or potato starch
1 1/2 teaspoons xanthan gum
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon sea salt
3/4 cup Spectrum Organic Shortening
1/3 cup hot vanilla hemp milk or coconut milk with 2 rounded tablespoons instant coffee added + pinch stevia sweetener
1 cup organic light brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup organic white cane sugar
1 tablespoon bourbon vanilla
1 tablespoon honey (or agave nectar to keep it vegan)*
1 tablespoon Ener-G Egg Replacer whisked with 1/4 cup warm water (or 2 beaten eggs)
6 - 8 oz. dark chocolate chips

Instructions:

You're going to chill the dough for an hour so don't preheat the oven quite yet.

In a large mixing bowl whisk together the flours, tapioca starch, xanthan gum, baking soda and sea salt.

In a separate bowl, beat the Spectrum shortening, coffee milk, brown and white sugar, vanilla, honey/agave and the prepared egg replacer (or beaten eggs).

Add the dry ingredients a little at a time and beat to combine- until a dough forms. This dough was stickier- for us- than our usual cookie dough, so we added a tablespoon of sorghum flour to bring it to a soft slightly sticky (but not wet) dough. Judge for yourself- if the dough needs more flour, add a tablespoon at a time until it appears as soft, slightly sticky but not wet.

Add the chocolate chips and any additional add-ins and beat by hand.

Cover and chill the dough for an hour.

Check your e-mail. Sip your tea.

Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Note for baking sheet: I use an Exopat liner on my baking sheet; but you could also line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

Scoop tablespoons of dough and form them into twenty balls; place them on the lined cookie sheet, about two inches apart. Press down on the dough balls ever so slightly, but keep a slightly mounded shape- not too flat. (Steve always sneaks a few extra chocolate chips onto the tops.)

Bake in the center of a pre-heated oven for about 15 minutes, until the cookies are firm and slightly golden around the edges. Remove the cookies with a thin spatula and place them on a cooling rack. They will crisp a bit as they cool.

So fabulous to eat warm, with the melty chocolate and rich coffee flavor. Divine.

This recipe makes 24 cookies.

Baking without cane sugar? Try this other cookie recipe with agave nectar: Chocolate Chip Espresso Cookies


Recipe Source: glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com

All images & content are copyright protected, all rights reserved. Please do not use our images or content without prior permission. Thank you. 

32 comments:

  1. This looks gorgeous! I haven't had cookies since I went gluten free 8 months ago and I can't wait to try these. But I have some questions that I hope you can answer:

    * What can I use as a substitute for sohrgum? I can't get that here in Norway?

    * What is stevia and where do I get it?

    * Hemp milk is another ingredient I can't get my hands on. Will oat milk or rice milk do?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look really good! I guess I will put a vote in for biscuits and tea ... since I am not about to get a snuggie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karina, this sounds amazing! I can't wait to try it. Thanks so much for posting it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Karina I love how frequently you use buckwheat flour. I also enjoy it in baked goods. I always love another cookie, er biscuit, recipe. And coffee flavor plus chocolate? :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. yumm..really have to taste..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum! I can't wait to try these. I'm wondering, do you have much experience with coconut flour? Coconut is one thing I'm sure I don't react to, so I'm curious about substitutions. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Barb09:54

    LOVE your recipes, you really are a smart gf cookie. Is there a flour I can sub for the buckwheat? Quinoa?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jnellybean10:15

    Karina, this looks great.

    For Susi - Sorghum (milo flour) can be used as a substitute for rice flour, corn flour, or gluten free flour mixes Add 1/2 - 1 Tbsp of corn starch to every cup of Sorghum flour to improve smoothness and moisture retention.

    Sorghum flour is very difficult to get in Australia too, as it is used as stock feed. So best to experiment with some different blends.

    In Australia Stevia is a herb and extremely sweet, we buy it in the health food store over here.

    Katrina, I'd like to know about Hemp milk too - never heard of it?

    And Spectrum shortening, can any shortening be used or can we use butter?

    You have a fantastic site. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous11:11

    About the cookie/biscuit thing. I don't know why we call them by different names. However, in the UK we do always refer to chocolate chip cookies, not biscuits - but that's the only example (must be because the recipe is originally American).

    What puzzles me is what the US definition of a biscuit is. When I first saw US recipes for biscuits, I couldn't understand why they didn't have any sugar in them! Now I know they are different from what I would call a biscuit and what you would call a cookie. But what exactly is an American biscuit - is it like a scone and is it always savoury?

    Always looking for mutual transatlantic enlightenment!

    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sara11:28

    Your entries are so enjoyable to read! I feel like you are in the room talking to me. You have a great way with words. Thanks for putting a smile on my face.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous14:25

    Love bikkies and love your site Karina.
    The Aussies might find sorghum flour in Indian supermarkets where it is known as Jowar flour.
    Have you tried ANZAC biscuits Karina. They are yummy - contain oats so only suitable for those who can obtain uncontaminated oats but have seen recipes for Anzacs using cornflakes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mmmm...looks like I am going to have to get a hold of some instant coffee! This another one of many recipes I am wanting to try calling for that ingredient.

    ReplyDelete
  13. No matter what you call them, they sound and look terrific! I remember nap time with foam pads, cookies, and milk. I think we make a mistake by giving up nap time as we grow older. LOL As a boomer myself, I think we should reinstitute nap time and I'd like one of these "biscuits" please. :-)

    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
  14. Jenny K in AK00:50

    I love the sorghum/millet mixes, they work well with any flavors you want to add.

    I'm still hoping for a workable yeast-free sandwich bread - please add my vote. All my attempts at a non-sweet bread using baking soda/powder crush into themselves from all sides shortly after being removed from the oven. I really need professional help on this one! (In more ways then one same late nights baking...) :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Allison12:09

    The word "cookie" comes from the Dutch "koekje" (pronounced (cook-yuh'). Much of our American English comes from Dutch due to the early settlement of New York as New Amsterdam. I look forward to trying this recipe and plan to use non-GMO butter substitute for the fat.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Jnellybean: Thank you! While I wait sorghum to be available, I'll stick to my favorite GF flour mix :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Karina, just wanted to say thanks for all these wonderful recipes that you share with us, and also thanks to the other Aussie readers who just answered my questions - before I could even ask them! I'm egg allergic and my daughter is dairy allergic, so your great recipes work for both of us. I can always find something amazing to cook from your site, many thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anonymous18:05

    Dutch speaker here. Actually, koekje is pronounced kook-yuh, i.e., with a long o. I'm about to give these a try...fingers crossed!

    Also, I second the request for yeast-free sandwich bread. The only yeast-free, gluten-free and, crucially for me, rice-free option I can find is from Breads by Anna.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Y'all,
    I made this recipe yesterday. My dough was extremely wet and I figured there was no way I could get it into cookie dough stiffness without adding a ton of flour. It looked like brownie batter. Which gave me an idea!

    I greased a 9 x 13 pan and dumped the batter into the pan. I baked it at 350 for about 25 - 30 minutes. It came out very cake-like and delicious! Oh, and I used instant espresso instead of instant coffee, since that is what I had on hand.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Anonymous11:21

    I don't care what you call these, they are GREAT!!! My picky eater (partner who is NOT GF) even liked them. You would never know they are a GF cookie.

    They do come out a little wet. I added an extra cup of flours and could have added even more.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you so much for this recipe, Karina! I have tried many gf chocolate chip cookies and they were just mediocre. This recipe is awesome!I did omit the coffee, since it does not agree with me, used almond milk (that is what I had on hand), and used eggs instead of the replacer. The batter was not too sticky and I did not have to use any extra flour. They did not come out as pretty as yours (maybe it was my haste to get them baked). They were a bitmore puffy but they are perfectly crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. My idea of a perfect cookie!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks, All-

    We've made these cookies three times now- they're our current favorite.

    The dough is sticky, yes. Chilling it helps stiffen it.

    And for adding more flour- flour amount differences could be:

    Storage
    Humidity
    Do you pour flour into cups? (I do.) Or do you scoop from the bag? (I don't.)

    My technique for cookies is:

    Chill the dough for an hour.
    Roll into balls.
    Only slightly flatten.

    Thanks, everyone for your responses- and feedback. Much appreciated.

    xox

    Karina

    ReplyDelete
  23. Karina! I finally got around to making these - well, I finally got the energy to make them is a better way to put it and they are sooooo yummy. Exactly what I was hoping they would be!
    Thank you for figuring this one out. As usual you are my gluten-free *plus* goddess!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Karina, Jnellybean said a substitutes for sorghum are rice flour, corn flour, or gluten free mixes, but to add 1/2 - 1 tbsp corn starch per cup of sorghum for smoothness and moisture retention. The rice flour or the gluten-free flour mixes would work for me, but I avoid corn. Is there an alternate for the corn starch? Also, is the rice flour substitution brown or white rice flour?

    I can't wait to try this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Klay- Muchas gracias! I'm happy you liked these. We've made them several times. A favorite. xox

    Fatima- A sub for cornstarch is tapioca starch, arrowroot starch or potato starch (NOT potato flour).

    As for the rice flour sub, whatever you like best (I don't care for white rice flour, but...).

    Hope that helps!

    Karina

    ReplyDelete
  26. Fatima08:59

    I made these last night... but was slightly unsuccessful. The batter was really sticky (sticking to the sides and to the spoon that I used to mix in the chips) and after an hour in the fridge, it was still sticky and I couldn't form them into balls, so I had to spoon them onto the cookie sheet... did you mean to chill the batter in the freezer? I ended up with a cookie sheet cake because they spread too much. And after the 15 mins, they still seemed too soft, so I had to leave them in the oven another 5 mins.

    How long are they supposed to cool? They were very soft once I took them out and even after cooling them for 15 mins, were still pretty soft. They left behind a greasy spot on the parchment paper, I'm guessing because of the shortening. It was my first time baking with shortening and I was afraid maybe I didn't measure it correctly? I just scooped it with a spoon into little measuring cups. Maybe there was too much shortening?

    I'd like to give this recipe another go. I beat the ingredients with a hand mixer. I might try my stand mixer with the paddle attachment.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi Fatima- It sounds like your dry to liquid ratio was too wet. Adding a little bit more flour would have helped stiffen the dough.

    Humidity affects flour (perhaps your flours are more humid than mine here in the desert?). When a cookie dough is so sticky that you cannot roll it into a ball I'd suggest adding a little flour in until you can form a ball with it.

    Did you pour the flour into cups or scoop into bags? I pour flour into nested dry measuring cups and level off.

    Next start with less liquid, perhaps, and stir; add a little at a time until you achieve the dough consistency you need.

    Hope that helps!

    Karina

    ReplyDelete
  28. Fatima14:45

    Thanks for the tips, Karina :) I always spoon my flour into cups and level off (like a good baker should, hehe) but I also substituted the sorghum with Pamela's GF baking & pancake mix (and added 1 tbsp arrowroot starch). I also didn't have tapioca or potato starch, so I used arrowroot starch (maybe this was also a problem?)

    I am not discouraged--I will try again! Thanks for the help :) I'm not proficient in baking cookies... I am better at muffins and cakes (and terrible with puddings) but I'll keep at it!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Fatima- Ah. Okay. The Pamela's Baking Mix already has xanthan gum and starch in it. That might be part of the issue.

    If you try again using Pamela's, use 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon less xanthan gum, and start with less liquid. The dough should be slightly sticky but not too much so. I was able to roll it into a ball.

    If I used Pamela's instead of the straight sorghum I might also lessen the starch.

    Good luck! :-)

    Karina

    ReplyDelete
  30. Anonymous22:24

    I want to try those cookies.

    ReplyDelete