Quinoa Salad with Lime + Fresh Mint

Gluten-free quinoa salad with fresh lime and mint.
Quinoa salad with fresh lime and mint.

This is the post where I confess, Dear Reader, that I am now pear-shaped and lumpy and thick in the middle- obviously adept at gaining weight. I may even be considered gifted. This is not fun for me. But then, who promised fun during hip surgery recovery? Who said it would be easy? (Um, no one.) Throw menopausal hormone pandemonium into the sticky mix and you have a double roll nightmare.

I gained fifteen eighteen twenty damn pounds.

And who claimed that wedges of Green Chile Cornbread and Strawberry Chocolate Chip Scones and Peach Crisp were calorie-free, anyway? Certainly not moi. But geesh. 

How much can a girl give up in one lifetime?

So the rumors are true. Your intrepid plucky gluten-free goddess is trying the South Beach Diet. Or as well as one can follow the famous low glycemic diet without the comfort of dairy foods (on my allergen verboten list). This should be interesting.

Lucky for me I have a Guru.

Kalyn of Kalyn's Kitchen is the go-to South Beach Diet guru slash goddess. She has enough mouth watering South Beach recipes to satisfy any craving and soothe any carbohydrate addict's fevered soul. I'll be bookmarking all kinds of recipes over there.

South Beach- and other low carb diets- are often gluten-free friendly. They typically avoid the high glycemic bleached wheat flours and semolina pastas (when they do include complex lower glycemic carbs- in a later phase of the diet- they point you toward high protein pasta and grains; and lucky for us we have our own gluten-free brown rice pastas and alternative flours that just might work- some better than others; stay tuned).

In essence this post is about hitting the reset button.

After years of celiac damage and malabsorption issues I can finally gain weight- and that's good news. Er, I suppose. (Note, however, that 40% of those with gluten intolerance actually suffer being overweight pre-diagnosis, and find it difficult to lose unwanted pounds- until they go gluten-free; life is diverse and your own mileage may vary from the so-called norm). So at this point in my recovery I must change up my eating habits. Set the reset button. Start over.

I've given up sugar, white rice and potatoes. 

So. Here we go. I'm day 4 of Phase 1 of the fabulous South Beach Diet. They tell you the carb craving goes away. To be honest? I'm not there yet. I miss my wonderful Best Gluten-Free Pancakes. But I also would like to feel better- more energtic, less thick. 

Kalyn has promised svelte. I say, Bring it!

Svelte rings a bell.

Quinoa. My new comfort food.


Quinoa Salad Recipe with Lime + Fresh Mint

Recipe posted August 2008 by Karina Allrich.


This cool, refreshing salad (which just so happens to be vegan and naturally gluten-free) reminds me of tabbouleh- a Middle Eastern style pasta dish I used to love. What makes a quinoa salad taste so fabulous? Fresh mint, lime juice and good tasting extra virgin olive oil.

Ingredients:

1 cup uncooked quinoa
2 tablespoons fruity extra virgin olive oil
Juice from 2 limes
2-3 fresh mint sprigs, leaves removed and chopped
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves or parsley
Sea salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
A handful of sweet and ripe cherry or grape tomatoes, quartered
2 tablespoons diced red onion- or use 2 chopped scallions
1 garlic clove, minced

Instructions:

Cook the quinoa in 2 and 1/4 to 2 1/2 cups fresh water, covered, until all of the water is absorbed. Add a small pinch sea salt, if desired. Note: I use my rice cooker to do this. The quinoa turns out fluffy, tender and perfect.

Scoop the cooked quinoa into a bowl and add the remaining ingredients. Toss lightly with a fork until combined.

Taste test and adjust seasonings.

Cover and chill- the longer, the better. In fact, I think this salad tastes even better the second day- so plan ahead if you need a make-ahead dish for a party.

Makes 4-6 servings.



Recipe Source: glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com

All images & content are copyright protected, all rights reserved. Please do not use our images or content without prior permission. Thank you. 

 


Total Pageviews