2010-11-29

Gluten-Free Potato Latkes


Nothing beats golden, crispy, lacy latkes.


A gluten-free favorite from the archives- these tender, lacy latkes are easy to make. Serve with homemade applesauce and sour cream spiked with a hint of horseradish or chives. And PS: I just passed my 5th year blog anniversary! Five years blogging gluten-free recipes.

Delicious thanks to all of you- much love xox Karina


GFG Gluten-Free Potato Latkes

"Put on your yamaka, it's time for Hanukkah!" [Adam Sandler]. Yes, Babycakes, it is the season for latkes. Serve them with homemade applesauce (my recipe for Cinnamon Applesauce is here).

3 large starchy baking potatoes
1/2 small to medium sweet onion, minced
1/2 to 2/3 cup all-purpose gluten-free flour blend, as needed
2 large organic free-range eggs, beaten
1/2 teaspoon sea salt, to taste
A pinch of nutmeg, to taste
Peanut, Canola, or high heat safflower oil, for frying

Grate the potatoes by hand or in a food processor (follow the manufacturer's instructions for grating potatoes and vegetables).

Press the grated potatoes between clean paper towels, or tea towels, to extract the moisture.

In a large bowl, combine the grated potatoes with the onions and gluten-free flour such as rice flour. Add the beaten eggs, sea salt and pepper. Stir well. Add more flour or liquid as you go, if you need to.

Heat a good inch and a half of peanut oil or safflower oil in a deep sided skillet over high heat.

Carefully drop the batter with a large spoon, or fork, into the hot oil, and press down with a spatula.

Cook the latkes until they are golden on each side - crispy on the outside, and tender in the middle. This takes maybe five minutes, depending upon the size of the latke.

Remove the latkes with a slotted spatula and place on paper towels, to drain.

Keep the drained latkes warm in a hot oven until all the latkes are ready to serve. Try to work fast, as latkes are definitely best hot from the pan.

Serve the latkes immediately with homemade applesauce or sour cream.

Serves 4 - depending upon appetites.



Notes:

Some of you asked- over on Facebook- if these can be made without eggs. And the answer is, Yes! I've made these potato latkes, and also my Sweet Potato Latkes, using Ener-G Egg Replacer for two eggs, mixed with 1/4 cup warm water. Works fine.


Sweet Potato Latkes

If you're looking for a slightly different twist on the whole latke thing, try my Sweet Potato Latkes.  


14 comments:

  1. That recipe is more or less identical to my family recipe! I'll be making them on Sunday and will take photos and post my (basically the same) recipe. Can't wait. Also going to try some "alternative" latkes - We'll see how those turn out. Happy Chanukah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet- i am going to try these over the weekend. Thanks! And I wanted to say thank you for all your great recipes - I made the pumpkin bars for the third time last weekend, and they're fantastic. Thank you for being so generous with your knowledge. Happy holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  3. omg ... girl, those are gorgeous!! i want them — NOW! (i'm gonna add you to the latke-mania posting i did, if that's ok - i'm sure others would love a gf alternative).

    happy hanukkah (i now have adam sandler playing in my head, lol).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Homemade applesauce, too? I'd never dreamed of making it fresh, but it DOES seem fairly easy. But then again, you make EVERYTHING look easy!

    Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The latkes look great! I have made a few potato-pancakes over the years, but never an actual latke. The recipe looks straght forward enough, I'll give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i'm honoured, thanks for the link! :) may all your latkes be forever crispy and light...and gluten-free, of course! happy 3rd candle. /bb

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, these look so good. Maybe I need to make some of these to go with our traditional New Year's Eve dinner of kielbasi and sauerkraut.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy new year! I made some latkes during Chanukah, and they didn't have any flour or eggs in them! Isn't that odd? But they were very crispy -- they looked a lot like yours here.

    Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  9. "follow manufacturer's instructions for grating" Wow! I didn't know potatoes came with manufacturer's instructions - no wonder I have a hard time with potatoes! Seriously though, this recipe looks fantastic, I can't wait to try.
    And congratulations on the anniversary! Love your posts, I hope they continue for another 5 and more :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love latkes. Yours look much better than mine do. Thank you for sharing these and the hundreds of other gluten free recipes over the years. When I first started living gluten free in Feb 07 your blog got me off on the right footing. Thank you for being a pioneer in gf blogging and doing is so well. I'm looking forward to more great recipes from you and someday meeting up with you in Santa Monica either before or after we move there.

    ReplyDelete
  11. First - congrats on your five year anniversary blogging. Second - the latkes look addictive. I like the idea of serving them at our Christmas meal just to include a little bit of the tradition of Hanukah as well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. These look great, my latkes are always just a bit too soggy. Yumm...

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so glad I found your site today. While I am not vegan, I am vegetarian, and your recipes will provide a new resource for me! I am always looking for creative ways to make my cooking and baking as healthy and environmentally friendly as possible - so your site will be so valuable!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your Latkes look crisp and cruchy. I only have made ones that have a softer texture. I can't wait to try these ones. I'm always looking for different ways to enjoy potatoes!

    Thanks,
    Angie.

    ReplyDelete