Baked Brown Rice Risotto


It's one of those Tuesdays when I have leftovers, again. And as the saying goes- she lives twice who lives well. I happen to think it's fun and challenging to use up leftovers in a creative way; and besides, Bubula, who likes to waste food?

I had a scant serving of Vegetarian Mulligatawny left over. And it started me to thinking, what if...

Baked Brown Rice Risotto



I'm calling this a baked risotto because of the texture- but we all know risotto is stirred patiently on the stove-top as we deftly sip our Italian white wine between stirs and nodding with the appropriate casual flair as we converse about movies or pop culture politics). So, yes, yes. I'm cheating!


Any chunky veggie soup could work, I imagine. My idea was to bake the rice with a big flavor punch. My only regret is that I didn't have any toasted slivered almonds on hand- that would have definitely added a needed crunch to contrast the soft baked rice.


2 1/2 to 3 cups cooked short grain brown rice
1 1/2 cups chunky soup with vegetables, such as a mulligatawny or minestrone
Extra seasonings- anything your little heart wants to add (more garlic, spice, herbs)

For serving:

Toasted slivered almonds or pine nuts
Shaved Parmesan or crumbled goat cheese, if desired
Chopped fresh parsley



Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly oil a casserole dish or baking dish.

Spoon the rice into the casserole dish and combine with the soup, and any added seasonings you wish. 

Bake in a pre-heated oven till heated through, about 20 to 25 minutes.


Serve in warm shallow bowls, and sprinkle with chopped parsley, nuts, or cheese.

Serves 3-4.